Sunday, September 23, 2007

Chak de India!

Well, this time its not the movie but the Twenty 20 world cup that I am referring to. India-Australia semi finals yesterday - what an awesome match it was!! I had lost interest in cricket over the last few years.. but since I started watching this new young team play the series, I am back to the same old craze of getting glued to the TV so that I don't miss a single ball of the game.. After India won 2 consecutive matches, against England and South Africa, like everyone else, even I had thought that India cannot repeat their victory.. I was not wrong in thinking so.. coz thats the kind of reputation the team had built up... But yesterday's match really changed a lot of perceptions am sure!

I have never seen Indian players fight so hard till the last ball... in all aspects - batting, bowling and fielding. Even though the match seemed to have favored aussies at many points, these people just kept fighting and it finally paid off... I really admire the way Dhoni has performed as a captain especially... Even though J.Sharma gave away a lot of runs in his first couple of overs and proved to be very costly to the team... Dhoni still gave him a chance to bowl the last over... which was very crucial... Aussies could have easily managed the 22 runs in 6 balls.. it wasnt a big deal for them.. But sharma got a chance to prove himself and cover up for all the bad bowling he had done ...... he really managed to do it and lead india to victory. I don't have to say anything about Yuvraj... we all know he played classy and professional cricket... We need more batsmen like him, who can play so well under immense pressure and not just keep swinging their bats hoping to connect the ball...

Anyways, I am back to watching cricket all over again.. I guess we don't need tendulkar, ganguly and dravid till this new team continues to play with the same 'josh' :) It was a treat to watch the Indian's play and am really looking forward for the India-Pak finals. Doesn't matter who wins... it's not necessary that we have to win all the matches... 'coz thats not the only thing which proves the team's potential.. what matters more is that they fight till the end and play their best game....

2 comments:

shilpa narayan said...

Ya I agree with you 100%, it was some great cricket we witnessed last week.

But...What?? It doesn't matter to you who wins in an India Pak final?! have you liked attained nirvana or somehting ;)

Sportsmanship spirit and great game and all the stuff...is all fine and good to talk about...but for me when it comes to an India Pak world cup final, all that matters to me is victory! Come on...they are our arch rivals..we HAVE TO WIN!

Unknown said...

:) i agree.. i was a bit too carried away with the 'sportsmanship' thingie! but now i cant comment much.. coz we already know the match result ;)