Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Life...and choices..

"It took me a long time and most of the world to learn what I know about love and fate and the choices we make, but the heart of it came to me in an instant, while i was chained to a wall and being tortured. I realized, somehow, through the screaming in my mind, that even in that shackled, bloody helplessness, i was still free: free to hate the men who were torturing me, or to forgive them. It doesnt sound like much, i know. But in the flinch and bite of the chain, when it's all you've got, that freedom is a universe of possibility. And the choice you make, between hating and forgiving, can become the story of your life"

This is the opening paragraph of the book "Shantaram" by Gregory David Roberts. Started reading this a few weeks back and still continuing to, and god knows when I'll finish this 1000pgd book.. These lines above really made an impact on me the moment I read it.. somehow... not sure why, maybe the state of mind I was in when I picked up the book or whatever, but it seemed to make a lot of sense to me suddenly, and it still does, everytime I read it.

The author seems to have put a gist of his whole life in these few lines..It's so true... Life is all about choices. If you look at it very subtly, every situation is a choice. You can choose how you react to situations. .. You can choose how people will affect your mood... you choose to be in a good or a bad mood... So it's your choice, how you live your life...

All of us are going with the movement of life...no matter what we do, we are on the roller coaster ride. We have a choice to either embrace it and enjoy the ride or fight it and scream all the way...It's upto us. We are what we choose to be... no one to blame or give credit for.

So the bottom line is... everyday we have the choice to live life fully... Attitude, after all, is everything! Well.. that's what I felt after reading this :) Opinions differ!

2 comments:

Megha said...

Classic opening statement!I bet u agree:)
Why do we meet at every crossroad prats?
Its like you literally blog my thoughts most times...love it man...keep the good work going!

Senthil.Jayaraman said...

This post reminds me of my not so complete writing on life & choices titled "Crossroad".

We are at a crossroad every moment in our life. We have to make a choice and not making a choice is also a choice.