Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Review: Rock On

Had written this review for PFC but it didn't get published...so posting it on my blog..

I went to watch this movie not knowing what really to expect, because of the mixed reviews I had received. I was completely taken aback with what I saw and the movie surpassed my expectations to a great extent in multiple aspects! I just LOVED every bit of it. Farhan Akhtar was a total surprise package. With this movie, he has proved that he is not only a good established director but also a good actor and a singer as well. So were Prachi Desai (best known as 'Bani' in Kasam Se on Zee TV), Purab Kohli and Luke Kenny. Prachi brings in a lot of freshness to the role and Purab seems to have a natural flair for comedy.He's got a perfect timing for his dialouge deliveries and the right expressions! Arjun Rampal has managed to give his best performance so far, though he doesnt stand out amongst all others. The movie has its own set of flaws (like slow pace), but it got me so engrossed that I could completely ignore all of those. Finally bollywood has got something good in the music genre to proudly showcase to the West.

Lot of reviews compared this movie to Dil Chahta Hai.I felt it's nothing similar to DCH, other than the fact that the movie is youthful and about a group of friends. Rock On has a totally different message to convey. The focus is not just on friendships; It's more about the 'spirit of winning' or 'following your dreams' and taking that path which is not chosen too often.The movie scores because of its 'Emotional Quotient (EQ)'. The characters were so real; I found myself getting engrossed in those characters and their relatively ordinary lives; I could relate to their dreams, goals, ego clashes, friendships, relationships etc and I feel this is what sets Rock On apart even though the story and flow seems cliched and predictable. The type of narration, with the intersperses of flash backs between the present is handled very well by director Abhishek Kapoor. At no point did I feel confused or left out; rather it made the story more interesting and kept me alert!

The movie's theme is music and the trio Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy show their 'Magik' again! The music is fresh and has that college-band touch to it. Javed Akhtar writing lyrics for a set of Rock songs was another surprise package in the movie! But I must say he has done complete justice to it. The lyrics are very simplistic, meaningful yet hummable and Farhan's nonchalant voice seems to suit them so perfectly well. Farhan's choice of using his vocals was very apt;it really helps him get into the character and blend with it, without looking artificial. The songs fit into the movie well, they enhance the experience and for once they are not there just for the heck of it, to bring in commercial success. Last but not the least, Rock On's music definitely brings in a breath of fresh air to hindi music and Indian rock music as well.

3 comments:

rajk said...

Ok, so one more reason for me to go and watch "Rock On". Good review! Short, sensible and snappy!

Mana said...

Well, there are much similarities between DCH and Rock On.. If you observe well, both are stories of friends, how they break up n re-unite.. the music is incredible.. n they don't bore!

Saad said...

Talking of similarities in the movie... wonder what you'll say to this comic Clean Rock Band Movie.