Thursday, July 26, 2007

Etiquette(s)...

I just realized that my frequency of blogging has gone down drastically! When I used to be twice as busy at ISB, I could still find enough time to blog every other day and now it's just once a fortnight or so... unbelievable! I would say this is more of a lack of motivation than time... It's not that I am lazy, but most of the days I just dont have anything to write about. Life can get very monotonous once you start working.. It was different at ISB; there was something happening every day! Anyways, one of my colleagues sent this piece of msg yesterday and it got me thinking... very subtle and so true!

"In the absence of clearly defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia, until ultimately we become enslaved by it"

Coming to what I wanted to write today....

As we grow up all of us are taught some kind of personal etiquette or we just pick it up as we observe the people around us. We dont give this up once we become adults.. it remaines ingrained in us. Once we start working, we learn some professional etiquette too... Why am I saying all this? Well, I have been observing things at my work place for about 2 months now and I find a lot of it very weird and sometimes frustrating. First thing that surprises (and irritates) me is that people keep their cell phone ringers on full volume in office. With all the hi-fi phones these days, the ringtones are obviously some mp3 songs..and they keep ringing as if there is no end to it.. This is not it.. the phones are just left on the desk and people disappear.. so then u get to hear the whole damn song as long as the phone rings! many times the song just gets stuck in my head for 2-3 days! It's impossible for me to concentrate on something and I have to resort to wearing headphones.

Next comes the desk phones. There is no concept of going to a conference room to take meetings. People just switch on phones (speaker) on their desk for hours. So I get to hear the entire meeting's conversation (both sides) of which I am not a part of. If one person in the bay has a meeting then you can imagine the plight of the remaining 3 people! (disadvantage of not having personal cubicles). This is not it. Some people have their personal conversations on speaker phones!!!So I get to know who has a problem with his credit card bill, car servicing, water problems at home etc... ridiculous!!!! I just cant understand this.. why wud i want the whole world to know about my personal issues!!!!!!!

The story doesnt end here.. Even during meetings people dont put their phones on silent mode... irrespective of whether the manager, director or whosoever is present in the room. So every few mins u are bound to be distracted by different ringtones... and the worst part is that people dont cancel calls.. they pick it up and talk inside the meeting room.. without caring about stares that they get. Even the person running the meeting or giving the presentation answers a call.. so the rest of the people have to hold their train of thought till he finishes the conversation ...

I am sure we all see these problems everwhere..in movie theaters, plays, gatherings etc.. Even when specific instructions are given to "turn off the phone" people dont..I've really wondered Why?! for a long time and now I have just given up trying to find an answer to this.

I can go on and on about this. But the point is that no one can possibly do anything abt this when the company culture itself is the way it is. Someone like me who has been used to a different environmnet for 2-3 yrs may find it difficult and weird............ but I guess soon even I will get used to it!!!

2 comments:

Deven said...

This has got to do more with show off rather than anything else..Its the power of quick money, and quick bucks..its just to show off that u are the busiest person in the world and that 24 hrs is less for you...
i do myself find it irritating...and worst thing i found is that this phenomenon is very common among Indians..Studying between a group of indians and brits in a foreign country i find that usually its the indians ringtone that sounds in the library(from the ringtone of some hindi song can make out that it must be some indian)
I dont say that it does not happen with the Brits here but it will be 9 out of 10 times and Indian...
And the poor librarian politely tells him to take the call outside..i really appreciate the patience of the Librarian here...poor guy..
I hope next time u hear something like that, just rise from your bench and cut off the cell of the person and if he says anything u can always argue abt your right to work peacefully...

Vikram said...

Just walked onto your blog...interesting topic and comments!

My take on calls in meetings -> the argument is that "most of the time" the meetings are themselves not so productive and people escape the torture by taking calls at the same time reminding the speaker to finish up the meeting soon...