Sunday, December 2, 2007

Jagjit Singh - live in concert

What could have been better than me getting to watch one of my favorite singers live in concert?! I had missed the last 2 concerts of his and this time I was waiting eagerly.. only to get a bit disappointed at the end.

A fund raiser event organized by 'Chaitanya Welfare Society' on account of world AIDS day yesterday (Dec-1) was a big let down. The whole organization of the event was pretty pathetic.. people had to wait in long queues for nearly an hour to get inside the venue and it was total chaos. And the next most important thing - acoustics, was totally screwed up..along with the lighting... I felt that listening to him on a CD would have been a much better option! Crowd handling was quite bad too.. people were just moving around all the time while the show was on which was pretty distracting and there was no way one could really get involved in listening to his music... To top it all, he didnt even sing many of his great ghazals which we were all waiting to hear.....I really didn't feel my soul stirring in the same way as it did in the days when I grew up to become his huge fan.... His recent albums seem to have lost that variety and innovation and they dont seem to appeal in the same way as his old ghazals used to...
I also heard from people that his concerts have become very predictable. (I have no comments here 'coz this was my first time..) He follows the same pattern every time, cracks the same jokes and connects with the audience in the same way... and that when he picks up the usual 2 or 3 punjabi songs, thats when u know the show is going to end!

The sad part here was that they priced the tickets at 550,1100 and 2k.. and it was absolutely no value for money. I understand that if someone is raising funds for a noble cause this is still fine and it makes sense, but at the end of it people who come there to watch the show should be able to enjoy it at least!

Am hoping that sometime in future I'll get to hear a better Jagjit Singh live in concert... along with Ghulam Ali would be even better! :)

No comments: