Friday, October 30, 2009

In pursuit of happiness...


This is one of those random thoughts I had when I found a few hours of idle time amidst my otherwise busy schedule...those few moments which are spent contemplating on life and such...

All of us have dreams/aspirations/goals in life, small or big, doesn't matter. We visualize, plan, prioritize, chase and strive hard to achieve those *objects of desire* or fulfill those dreams. I've been there, done that too. But I have noticed that whenever I reach a goal or acquire that *object of desire*, it never makes me as happy and thrilled as I had thought it would, when I started off. In short, it doesn't live up to the initial fantasies. It really makes me wonder why?! It cannot be becoz I dont want to be at that stage anymore or I dont like that *object of desire*, coz I would have put in days, months & sometimes years of effort behind it... Then, is it becoz my priorities changed during the course? I guess not, coz then I would have not pursued the goal or chased my *object of desire* till the end! So what else could it be??

I do realize that as human beings, we are never content with what we get. We always aspire for more. It's like someone wanting to buy a house all his life and when he actually does, he'll wish he owned a bigger house or a house by the sea side. What's the guarantee that the same feeling wont pop up again? There's no limit to being satiatiated....

After much contemplation, analysis, thought & discussions, one answer did satisfy me to an extent. It's always the "pursuit" which is more exciting than the "attainment" itself. "Wanting" seems to be a much stronger emotion than "Having".... the happiness actually lies in the pursuit itself and not the end point or the goal ". So when you actually attain it, you wonder Now What?! Of course there is a short period of excitement when we attain the goal, I dont deny. But very soon we are back to picking on the next goal and sailing on the same boat, striving hard all over again...

The best analogy here could be climbing a mountain. You trek all the way up for many hours to get a glimpse of that beautiful view from the peak. But the time spent there is just a few minutes....The excitement and joy is more in the journey to and from the peak...

So in short, attaining a goal or the *object of desire* is not an end by itself.... it's the journey that matters and is more enjoyable ; pursuit is where the happiness lies...

6 comments:

Kavya said...

Hi,

First time here..

I loved all your writings.. You just rock!!

And this post is awesome..Good Keep going.

vijay said...

As you pointed out..desire after desire.. human existence strive for unlimited desires...As Sadguru Jaggi Vasudev points it..its the very nature of human desires to become boundless, limitless..to expand to infinity...

molarbear's posts said...

Yes, there is no end to the journey!

...and that photograph is just superb!

Unknown said...

@molarbear - the photo source is google images :)

Saurabh Sinha said...

Good observation. Have also observed that the pursuit changes you and you sub-consciously modify your perception of the object you desire. Unsure about your profession, I have been involved in Sales. It is sometimes stunning how uneventful (internally to me) a final contract execution is. There are high moments along the way, but feels very normal at the goal point. Best wishes, Saurabh

Udhay said...

got to read your blog when i was randomly browsing...i even felt the same kinda of feeling..like clearing my CA exams.. my dubai dream...bla bla...but the way you narrates this was simply superb..Mabrook..!!! Live life abundantly..god bless.!!
Udhay