Thursday, March 11, 2010


It's just one of those 'not so great' days when am wondering why is happiness always relative?! You wait for something for a long time, you get it; you are happy, but the next moment you are not, coz you have just compared yourself with others....may not be consciously, but it happens and then that happiness suddenly becomes elusive....

Happiness doesnt seem to lie in what you get or have but in whether or not you have more or less than others...sigh! 'Being content with what you have' seem like just words of wisdom many a times...far beyond putting into practice...

Competition is good, healthy....but the more one learns not to compare...the better it is...I realize!

9 comments:

Krishna said...

Actually, its not one of those "not so great" days. On the contrary, it is one of those better days when you think on these lines !!
Your boss, though, may not agree with this :)

Unknown said...

hehehe..there comes the pearls of wisdom from the philosopher! ;)

Loku said...

I asked my friend.. If you dont compare urself.. how would u know what emotions you have to have.. its only when u see others having their salary credited u realize the happiness when urs get credited.. else.. we are only living a tasteless and worth to nothing life.. or in other words we would be just Emotions-Starved..

Suresh S Murthy said...

@Pratima,

I have found myself in the same situation a lot of times too. Here is what I do. It helps. May be it would help you too.

Whenever I begin to compare myself with others, I just ask myself, "If I were to be exactly like someone I am trying to compare with, why would god have to create me at all?"

The very fact that I am not the same as the person I am trying to compare with,is convincing enough to stop any further comparisons.

Vijaya K said...

@Suresh S. a.ka. Suri: An apt suggestion!

Senthil.Jayaraman said...

Many many happy returns of the day!

molarbear's posts said...

Hey...it was your birthday! Many happy returns of the day Pratima.

I loved the photograph...if only we could hold happiness like that, in the palm of our hand!

Vijaya K said...

belated Happy Birthday!!!

Unknown said...

@Deepa & Vijaya - thanx a lot for the wishes :)