Saturday, March 3, 2007

Nishabd

My Rating for this: ***1/2 out of 5

Watched this movie called 'Nishabd', which was released just today, but we still managed to get tickets for the evening show. I had no clue what this movie was all about but had seen the posters of it here and there thru which I had figured that it was quite a bold subject to be made as a movie - very unconventional. It's about a 60 year old man (Amitabh Bachchan) who falls in love with a 18 year old girl, who is his daughter's friend (Jiya Khan), who comes to stay with them on a short vacation. Amitabh's acting is commendable as usual - HE IS JUST SUPERB!!. He has carried out this role in an awesome way and I dont think anyone else would be able to do justice to this strong character that well! Jiya as a newcomer has done a decent job but not a noteworthy performance. I think the emphasis has been more towards her beauty than her acting and it seemed very artificial to me, most of the time. The whole movie rests on Amitabh's shoulders. Without him it wud have been just another box office flop!

The movie has a strong story line and a bold concept but I felt that it still needed some more effort to build the intensity of the relationship between amitabh's character and Jiya so that the climax seemed more powerful. The ending is not very clear and i guess the director wanted it to be so in order to leave it to the discretion of the audience. It does leave you with a lot of emotions with high intensity and you can give way to your imaginations and criticisms of what has happened in the story and what might probably happen from then on, the rights and wrongs, etc. Just as the title suggests, the movie did leave me "spellbound" at the end, not coz it was great but well... i am still trying to figure out the reasons! I didnt feel it was something outstanding - definitely not to RGV's standards but it sure does have an awesome cinematography - the tea estate locations are just breathtaking, not to forget the background music of course - hats off to the music directors!!

After the movie, we went to this place called 'Chutneys' for dinner. I had heard a lot about this place since I came to Hyd but never had a chance to go there. I just LOVED the food there, may be coz I was missing the south indian food too much but still... I felt it was too good and all of us hogged like there is no tomorrow! Waiting to explore the city more.....

No comments: